149: A Better Way for Selfish Givers to Give Socially Responsible Gifts
Today on Cause Talk Radio, Megan and Joe talk to Dr. Lisa Cavanaugh of the University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business about our favorite topic: selfish giving!
Lisa, along with Francesca Gino (Harvard Business School) and Gavan Fitzsimons (Fuqua School of Business) wrote When Doing Good Is Bad in Gift Giving: Mis-Predicting Appreciation of Socially Responsible Gifts.
Megan, Lisa, and Joe discuss:
- How it was Lisa’s own giving of socially responsible gifts that sparked her interest in exploring why they are given and how they are received.
- How the positive reception of a socially responsible gift depends on the social distance between you and the person that’s receiving the gift.
- Just how egocentric we are when choosing gifts for others and the importance of empathy for giving gifts the receiver will love.
- Other research Lisa has done and the power of one emotion: LOVE!
- Lisa’s advice for giving socially responsible gifts.
Links & Notes