175: How This Texas DQ Franchisee is Fighting Childhood Hunger
Today on Cause Talk Radio, Megan and Joe talk to Bill Spae, CEO of Vasari LLC, a Dairy Queen franchisee with 76+ locations in Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma. Vasari is the second largest franchisee in the DQ system!
Vasari leads several cause marketing programs, including a fundraiser for Share Our Strength that raised $335,000 since 2014.
On the show, Megan, Bill and Joe discuss:
- How Joe met Bill at the National Restaurant Show in Chicago where they were both speaking on behalf of Share Our Strength.
- How DQ got involved with Share Our Strength. It's not a national program for DQ, but a regional program for Vasari LLC.
- How DQ kicked off the program in 2014 and Share Our Strength supported their efforts with their deep experience in cause marketing point-of-sale.
- How much the program has grown since 2014. The goal this year is $200K+.
- How DQ changed its ask from a dollar amount to a meal amount and raised more money.
- The power of incentives to solicit donations.
- Joe shares a painful DQ regret.
- Does DQ ask for specific donation at the register, or do they let the customer decide? Key takeaway: don't pressure people.
- What employees think of the program, and how Vasari has grown their engagement with communication, storytelling and swag.
- Why DQ doesn't ask for donations through the pinpad. Employees do all the asking.
- How DQ avoids donor fatigue.
- The business benefit of supporting a cause.
Links & Notes