200: How Values & Culture Impact CSR Efforts
Today on Cause Talk Radio, Megan and Joe talk to Jessica Li, Assistant Professor of Marketing at the University of Kansas, about a new article that explores how corporate social responsibility efforts are perceived by different cultures. These efforts may not be effective for all consumers or in all countries.
On the show, Megan, Jessica and I discuss:
- Why Jessica and her team decided to do this research. The team focused on two "individualistic" cultures and two "collectivistic" cultures.
- How people had different feelings toward CSR programs executed by domestic and foreign companies.
- How marketing messages need to differ for individualistic and collectivistic cultures.
- Tips for U.S. companies that want to engage in CSR activities in foreign markets.
- The importance of companies having a long-term commitment to a cause regardless of the country or culture.
- The need for more research on consumer behavior, especially in collectivistic cultures.
- Megan and Joe suggest two companies that may be excelling in foreign markets.
Links & Notes